Every summer VAC works together with the Columbia Water and Light Department and Boone Electric on the air conditioner exchange program. This program allows low-income Columbia Water and Light and Boone Electric customers to swap their older, less efficient, or broken window air conditioner units for new ones that are more energy efficient. This helps them both to stay cooler and to save money on utility bills. Exchange of old units and pick-up of new units both take place at VAC. All of the old air conditioners are disposed of properly and recycled by the city. In 2012, this program provided 85 replacement air conditioner window units.
To participate in this program, you must bring in the following items:
- Older, inefficient window air conditioner to exchange
- Proof of current physical Boone County addresses (ID’s or leases will not be accepted)
- Identification for everyone at your address (originals, no copies)
- Proof of all income for everyone at your address (including food stamps and TANF)
- Current utility bill for your address
The AC Exchange program begins May 19 until September 10 (or until unit supplies run out) and will be distributed on TUESDAYS and THURSDAYS from 9-11 AM and 1-4 PM.
*PLEASE NOTE: We no longer have AC units for Boone Electric customers, but we still have City of Columbia AC units to exchange