Social Services Specialist – Housing Specialist ESG Cares
Full Job Description
This position has two primary tasks: coordinating one of VAC’s housing programs; and accurately assessing needs of low-income clients and providing appropriate services.
Accountability is to the Executive Director.
Coordinate individual rent and mortgage assistance housing program:
Oversee VAC services for persons experiencing housing instability, to maintain their housing and to thrive in the community. The Housing Specialist will assist eligible participants to maintain housing through rent or mortgage assistance and then provide supportive case management to assure the best opportunity for client success. Tasks include:
- Providing screenings and intake services for potential clients, determining what services are appropriate, and providing services as determined.
- Providing supportive case management for clients receiving housing services.
- Inputting client information in the Homelessness Management Information System (HMIS)
- Providing reports for funders
- Assisting with preparation of grants for housing services.
The Housing Specialist will work in cooperation and coordination with other VAC staff as well as with other agencies providing housing services, primarily through the Functional Zero Task Force, a consortium of Boone County agencies addressing homelessness, and Region Five of the Balance of State Continuum of Care in Missouri.
Client intake and referral:
- Interview clients to assess needs and provide direct services on the basis of individual circumstances and within VAC program guidelines. Refer clients to other agencies in order to meet additional needs.
- Answer phone calls and assess client needs. Provide referrals and information as appropriate.
- Follow up on client services to ascertain effectiveness of services rendered.
- Maintain proper records on client contacts, referrals, and follow-up surveys.
- Maintain a good working relationship with other social service agencies/resources in the community.
- Maintain professionalism while working with people from various populations and backgrounds.
- Attend pertinent workshops, meetings, and seminars related to VAC’s work.
- Represent VAC at meetings and other collaborations of social service agencies.
- Assist with fundraising and other events.
- Assist with maintaining supplies and other stored items.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- A Bachelors Degree in a related field preferred. Experience in and familiarity with programs that address homelessness preferred.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office and ability to use database systems. Interest in collection and reporting of data preferred.
- Familiarity with other computer programs preferred.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills as well as customer service skills.
- Sensitivity to, and acceptance of, individual needs and differences, including the ability to be flexible but fair when applying program policies to different client situations.
- Ability to work independently and in a team environment.
- Ability to organize and prioritize tasks and complete them in a timely manner.
- Ability to conduct oneself in a professional manner, particularly in the handling of confidential information, as well as in relations with other personnel and with all clients.
- Valid Missouri driver’s license preferred.
This position is part of special funding received to address the effects of the COVID-19 crisis. Funding will be available for a minimum of one year and is not guaranteed for renewal.